Flowmeters and other techniques measure flow of fluids and fluid-like substances.
Flow of liquids, gases, slurries and even solids are essential in many research, commercial and manufacturing environments. Aircraft and automobiles need controls for the flow of fuel to engines, especially gas turbine and diesel. Flow of fluids is one of the most common and vital technologies in Industry, Science and Commerce.
The subject of flow measurement and the measuring devices used, flowmeters, are organized on this site as shown below.
Types of Flowmeters :
Venturi, Nozzle, Orifice, Pitot Tube, PTC-6 Nozzle, Wedge, V-Cone Variable Area, Coriolis, Ultrasonic, Magnetic, Positive displacement, Turbine, Thermal and Insert propeller are some of the names and types of flowmeters one will encounter in the Industrial and scientific world. Just separating them and choosing the one most suited for your use can be a challenge. There are many resources online, not the least the ones you can find using a majr search engine. Here’s one we like:
- Refer to the Endress & Hauser webpage for one of the most succinct summaries of the variety of flowmeter types.
Calibration and Traceability of Flowmeters:
- Flow measurement has been a cornerstone of Alden since 1894 as the Alden Hydraulic Laboratory. Today, Alden is the largest independent supplier of NIST traceable water flow meter calibrations in the United States.
- ATC, Inc. is an A2LA Accredited and ISO/IEC 17025:2005 Certified company with Primary and Secondary standards providing calibration at ATC. ATC’s primary gas flow standard lab offers numerous primary standards for micro-flow and flow measurements with 0.2% of reading and higher.
Flowmeter Standards & Specifications:
ISO Standards on Flow Measurements:
The International Standards Organisation (ISO) breaks down the search subject of “Flowmeter” into three seperatre listings, each quite extensive:
- [http://www.iso.org/iso/products/standards/catalogue_ics_browse.htm?ICS1=17&ICS2=120&ICS3=10& (Flow in closed conduits)],
- [http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_ics_browse?ICS1=91&ICS2=140&ICS3=40& (Flow in Gas Supply Systems)] and
- [http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_ics_browse?ICS1=91&ICS2=140&ICS3=60& (Flow in Water Supply Systems)].
The ASTM International website”yields a list of some 249 separate individual standard items to an onsite search for “Flowmeter”(http://www.astm.org/search/fullsite-search.html?query=Flowmeter&resStart=0&resLength=10&toplevel=products-and-services&sublevel=standards-and-publications&dltype=allstd&).
The American Petroleum Institute (API) list 26 publications related to “Flow Standards” (http://www.techstreet.com/api/searches/1898100)
There are some 18 standards listed by The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating & Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) website:
Choosing, Installing, Using and Maintaining Flowmeters
References, Resources & Links
Special Topics on Flowmeters & Applications indexed or linked here are:
- Flow Conditioning for Natural Gas Measurement
- Flowmeterdirectory.com (The most comprehensive web portal on flowmeter technology, manufacturers, and suppliers of flow meters.)
- Free Flow calculators and calculation software
- Search For A Flow Meter By Flow Criteria
Copyright 2004-2013. MeasurementMedia Division, Temperatures.com, Inc. All rights reserved